Thursday 21 May 2009

Sketching in the Botanic Gardens



Cory Lodge, pen and wash

I spent a delightful day at the University Botanic Gardens in Cambridge today. I am very lucky to be able to get a bus from the end of my road that takes me all the way to the Station Road entrance in about 30 to 40 minutes, so loaded with my sketch kit plus a few additions I set off this morning to do some sketching. My first stop was the cafe, where refreshed with a mug of Blackberry and Nettle tea and a slice of Florentine I settled down on the terrace outside to do the above sketch of the building called Cory Lodge.


"Cory Lodge" before wash was applied


Outside the hothouses, coloured pencil in Moleskine

This is a coloured pencil sketch. I don't do much sketching from life in coloured pencil and need to practice more!


Gardener's trolley, pen and wash

I was looking for something to do a quick sketch of before heading home when I caught sight of this trolley which was obligingly parked opposite a sheltered bench. I got some funny looks from the gardener who was watering the border that he had just planted up!

My sketches cannot do the gardens justice so I took a few pics as well : )

4 comments:

Making A Mark said...

I've had the Botanic Gardens 'tagged' as a place to go and sketch for ages

Let me know next you're planning to go and I catch a train to Cambridge!

laura said...

Hello, I came over from Sketchercise, where I am a new member. I love your sketch of the lodge, both before and after--you added just enough color! It's very inspiring!

suessketchblog said...

Thanks Laura, and welcome to Sketchercise.

Katherine, I will let you know!

Pat said...

Hi Sue, I just wanted to see your blog and your wonderful art. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone in the Sketchercise group.